Making Soccer Available To Everyone
TOPSoccer (The Outreach Program for Soccer) is a community-based recreational program specifically designed for participants of all ages with intellectual, emotional, and or physical disabilities. The program strives to provide soccer opportunities for players in a safe, fun, and supportive inclusive environment.
`Operated under the umbrella of the national organization United Soccer Youth Association (USYS) and the Cal North State Soccer (Cal North), the program is supported by certified trainers and players are registered with Cal north which provides secondary insurance.
Benefits for Participants
- SOCIAL SKILLS - Players interact with their volunteer Buddy and other athletes in a fun, group setting and learn proper social behaviors.
- TEAMWORK - Players learn to trust someone else and rely on them through soccer activities and games.
- PERSEVERANCE - Players might encounter difficulties with activities, but they will be encouraged to keep trying and overcome challenges.
- CONFIDENCE - Players will achieve success on the field that carries over to their lives off the field in so many ways!
Differentiators of TOPSoccer
- Buddies: Each participant is assigned a volunteer, trained ‘Buddy’ who is typically a little older and neurotypical. This Buddy works with their player individually and makes sure they are safe, engaged, supported, and having fun. The player-Buddy relationship is maintained throughout the course of a season, resulting in strong interpersonal bonds and an establishment of trust and confidence that allows each player to achieve their full potential.
- Coaches: TOPSoccer coaches and administrators have taken formal USYS education and certification training that assists them in successfully delivering the program. In addition to providing coaching strategies and tactics specifically for children with special needs, the training identifies the traits of the most common disabilities and provides guidance on how to modify typical soccer practice activities so everyone can be successful.
- Groupings: Players are grouped by ability, not just age, such that they can develop at their own pace and participate amongst others with similar abilities.
TOPSoccer players represent a diverse group of individuals with a wide range of abilities
The level of participation varies and development is self-paced. The key to the success of these players is patience! You can make this adventure fun for all involved. Participation in TOPSoccer can help the player with:
- Physical activity required for optimum health
- Opportunity to participate in organized sports
- An avenue for increased social interaction
- Development of a positive self-image and self-confidence
2023 PROGRAM DETAILS
In partnership with the Pleasanton Rage, the program holds approximately 20 sessions per calendar year and offers year-round programming.
DATES: 6/23, 6/30, 7/7, 7/14, 7/21 and 7/28
TIME: 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm
COST: $50 for up to 20 sessions!
LOCATION: Muirwood Park
If you have any questions, please contact Coach Dane Shaffar at Daneshaffar@busc.org